BEAVER ISLAND ORAL HISTORY PROJECT: 1950s-1970s
PLACE: ST. JAMES TOWNSHIP HALL
JANUARY 7, 2019 7-9 P.M.
JANUARY 21, 2019 7-9 P.M.
February 4, 2019 7-9 P.M. CANCELLED- RESCHEDULED FOR FEB. 11
February 18, 2019 7-9 P.M.
March 4, 2019 7-9 P.M.
March 18, 2019 7-9 P.M.
The Beaver Island Historical Society is organizing a Beaver Island oral history project based on Island events during the 1950s, 60’s and ’70s. The public is invited to attend group sessions moderated by Ed Wojan at the St. James Township Hall. The meetings will be held twice a month on the first and third Mondays in January, February, and March. The February/March dates and location will be confirmed at the January meetings. The questions for February and March will be updated prior to the beginning of each month. The format will be similar to January questions except about the 70s and later.
The events will be live streamed by Joe Moore and recorded for future society publications. Please consider attending and sharing your stories or tuning in to reminisce on great memories! Naturally, the meetings are family friendly. Beverages will be provided. Feel free to bring a dessert.
1950’s Oral History Meeting
January 7, 2019
1. People on Island from 1950 – 19592.
2. Population through the 1950s.(census 1950 ?, local unofficial counts)
3. Ferry Service(North Shore to Emerald Isle first Beaver Island Boat Co.)
4. Change in the Economy(From Logging, Fishing, Farming to Summer Home Construction & Tourism)
5. Civic Association(Beaver Beacon)
6. Restaurants(Killarney Inn, Rustic Villa Grill, King Strang Hotel)
7. Businesses in the 1950s(Cabin Rentals, McDonough’s & LaFreniere Stores) (List …..)
8. Facilities(Change in Phone systems, New Medical Center, Change in School Buildings, the start of CMU Biological Station & Fire Station)
9. Tourism(Perch runs, Rabbit & Deer Hunting, other Islands Fishing, Tours, Cabin Rentals)
10. American Central Corporation and Port St. James Subdivision
11. Health Care
1960’s Oral History Meeting
January 21, 2019
1. People on Island from 1960 – 19692.
2. Population through the 1960s(census 1960 ?, local unofficial counts)
3. Ferry Service(Beaver Islander, Dock)
4. Change in the Economy(Home Construction, Game Fishing)
5. Restaurants(The Beaver Tail, Circle M Supper Club, King Strang Hotel, Beaver Lodge)
6. Businesses in the 1960s(Cabin Rentals, McDonough’s & LaFreniere Stores) (Rest of List …..)
7. Facilities(Change in School Buildings, CMU Biological Station & Fire Department)
8. Tourism(Perch runs, Rabbit & Deer Hunting, Other Islands Fishing, Tours, Cabin Rentals, Dawn Patrols (fly-ins), Homecoming Week)
9. Health Care